Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dandelion Root Beer?

I'm starting to lose a little hope in our great experiment. There's been no real change to the soda since we bottled it. Yesterday I thought that perhaps it was starting to get a little tangy, but today I think I must have been imagining that.

Downside of only doing a liter: tasting it daily reduces the amount considerably, especially when each kid must have their own taste. I threw another quarter cup of starter in there today, both in hopes of getting things going a bit, and to fill it back up a bit more.

Despite the resounding lack of success so far, I decided to start a second liter, made out of sun tea on the inspiration of my good friend Olivia. I'm letting this cool more before adding the sun tea wort to the starter, just in case that was the problem with the root beer.

I'm going to think about starting a new batch of starter today too, as all indications were that I had a successful starter before sticking it in the fridge to hibernate.

With lots of hand-feeding, the goats are starting to tame up a bunch. The bottle baby (He's pretty much been named B.B.) is totally tame. Mama Goat tolerates us, and her nurslings are starting to investigate us a bit, too. The brown and white female as officially named Marshmallow Fudge - Marsha for short, and I can't resist calling "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha" to her, though she just gets called Little Girl more often than not. She's still skittish, but is starting to run up and beg for treats when we come in. She and B.B. are kind of the outcasts of the herd, and I think that encourages her to turn towards humans.

The two somewhat dumb white sibling goats have been quietly named Beavis and Butt-Head. It fits them. I call them Dumb and Dumber, too.

The nurslings don't have distinct enough personalities for names yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment